Friday, April 18, 2008

Its A Mugatu Thing

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Has the whole world gone mad? At first, I thought I stumbled unknowingly onto a website with satirical stories like this one. Unfortunately, the link leading you to the children's book "My Pretty Mommy" is all too real. Now, I completely understand that there are difficulties present for youngsters with mothers who alter their physical appearance. I'm sure it can be a jarring experience. And, I would never begrudge anyone the opportunity to make that change. What I don't support is that this book irresponsibly promotes values that aren't appropriate for youngsters. They should not be exposed to what amounts to a marketing campaign extolling the virtues (read superficial values) of plastic surgery. That book cover is all wrong. The "pretty mommy" is standing there with her midriffed bared (Warning: I'm starting to sound like an old codger) surrounded by magical sparkles while her child looks up her in adoration. Its as if Tinker Bell descended from the heavens, waved her magic wand and made mommy pretty. In the immortal words of Jack Black in Anchorman, "What the hell, bra?"

No comments: