Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Circular, circle. Feel it. Go with the Flow. Do the Bull Dance.

I haven’t written anything in awhile and I want to blame it on the craziness that is the NHL trade deadline. Instead, I’ll tell you the truth and let it be known that I feel inadequate in every way. Having visited an Apple store for the first time last week with my girlfriend, I find myself thinking about whether or not there is a place in this world for me. You see, everyone who works there is a GENIUS. All employees walk around with name tags that say “Hi, I’m a Genius. Art Scranafran” I used a false name because I wouldn’t want you to bombard these intellectual giants with your mundane questions. Once you enter the store and gather the courage to consult one of these geniuses you are given the opportunity to wait a few more minutes before you can sit down with a genius with an even bigger brain….wait for it…..at the Genius Bar. Here you can fully explore your Mac/iPod/iPhone problems or think about how you’ve failed to live up to your potential because you’ve missed out on the genius moniker. I was beginning to feel light headed (due to the rarefied air) and quietly prayed that this herd of geniuses could fix the computer sooner rather than later. I was in luck. These were, after all, geniuses. The problem was resolved and a return to normal oxygen levels got me thinking (had my brush with greatness influenced me?). I began to think about the audacity of a company to offer help from geniuses in their retail outlets. Wouldn’t normal computing folks shrink in awe from these divine beings? A brief w-w-w search later netted me an answer.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/01/21.9.shtml

Apparently Mac users don’t lack confidence about their own mental capacity and might even be called conceited. I wonder if they feel this way because they have geniuses working for them or if Apple employs geniuses to deal with these haughty consumers. This “which comes first” is analogous to the age old chicken or the egg question and is best summed up by Luna Lovegood. They are both like a circle and know no beginning or end.

2 comments:

Cooper said...

I feel somewhat ashamed as I type this comment from my wife's iPod touch. I guess the bigger question is how would you feel if instead of geniuses they were called "estupidos." I'm not sure i would entrust my very pricey mac or iPod in their hands. Then again, perhaps the feeling of superiority i would undoubtedly feel would make me more inclined to frequent the store more often.

Jake said...

I feel ashamed and probably should have mentioned that after feeling sorry for myself for a little while, that I plan on buying a Mac when I go back to school. Basically I'm hoping that the product will rub off on me creating a self confident super lawyer.