Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Two Thumbs Up and FOUR THUMBS DOWN

Last night I was watching basketball (I do this frequently) and was pleasantly surprised at what I found. And, it had absolutely nothing to do with the referees, the announcing, the coaching or the players. I was impressed by the fans. We exist in an era of constant court storming. I was once at a game where a 17th ranked Georgetown team beat a 12th ranked Syracuse team and watched in horror as the student “fans” flocked to the court like the salmon of capastrano. G-Ross. The Hoyas are a storied team and anything less than three point launch off of Mike Sweetney’s left knee for the win should have kept the moronic fans in their seats. You can celebrate in your seats. Well, last night in a game in which a team mired in mediocrity (this season) defeated one that is wildly successful (this season) I half expected those rambunctious students to storm the court. It didn’t seem to matter in my mind that the mediocre team (Kentucky) is one of the most storied programs in all of college basketball. But, as the final horn sounded and the jubilant players jumped around with each other I witnessed something that made me smile. The fans cheered. They stood and clapped because they were happy their team won and they didn’t act like they haven’t seen them win before. I’m all for celebrating fantastic events, but I prefer to see people “act like they’ve been there before” as my grandfather and prematurely-mature roommate likes to say. Especially, when these fantastic and unexpected events are regular season wins by teams from power conferences. As I applaud the fans from the bluegrass state I will also heartily boo those enormous babies from UNC. Their reaction to a single loss was pathetic.

5 comments:

Cooper said...

So, Nina and I were watching sportscenter last night, and Scott VanPelt said, "If there's anyone who thinks Tom Brady is NOT playing in the super bowl, please press your flight attendant button to alert your stewardess that you should have gotten on the flight to Crazytown." Nina then declared "I think Jake would make a great sportscenter host!" There you have it: definitive proof that you should work your way into that market.

Jake said...

Why thank you. I often dream up little phrases that I would use if I ever had the opportunity to do something like that.

"Like dignity in a Frat house, you are out."

Anonymous said...

it's fraternity, not frat. how's that for dignity? jackass.

Jake said...

Terribly sorry I offended the brotherhood. I'll try and keep it PC for everyone from here on out. By the way, weren't there fraternity houses that had puke/pee buckets in the basements of your college? Classy.

Anonymous said...

It was a really nice bucket.